about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
6.16.2005,6/16/2005 10:15:00 AM
Anthropology Lessons and Bridesmaid Dresses
I went to the oral surgeon yesterday for my consultation appointment and am scheduled to have my wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow at 1 pm. I'm a bit apprehensive about it, seeing that every time I get an IV I tend to pass out (I've had several in the past year and a half!), but they said that I would be having the IV run from the vein in my elbow area, and I can tolerate that a little better.

I wonder why wisdom teeth are called that in the first place? Well, I found one reason on this website:

They are called "wisdom teeth" because they usually appear during a person's late teens or early twenties, which has been called the "age of wisdom".
(Ha! Now THAT'S funny...did a 20-year-old make that claim?)

In college I took an anthropology class and had to read a book by one of the professors in the department about her time spent in West Africa studying the indigenous peoples. She stated in her book that many of the West African people had almost no incidences of wisdom teeth impaction, for their jaws were large enough to accommodate that last molar.

I told this to one of my co-workers and she wondered why that was, so I explained to her my theory, and please don't take this as fact, for it's only speculation on my part. What I think is that as humans migrated farther north into the colder climates, their bodies adapted accordingly, becoming more compact to conserve more heat--hence, the smaller jaw that is unable to accommodate the third molar.

So, friends, that is your lesson for the day. Prepare for a pop quiz next week! :)

To cap off my ramblings, I picked up my bridesmaid dress for my friend Kristen's wedding next month. Got it home, tried it on, and I'm literally swimming in the thing. I am apple-shaped, which means I'm thick-waisted, and when I got measured they ordered a dress for me that is three sizes too large, based wholly on my waist measurement. I should have asserted my opinion and had them order the dress in my correct size, but wedding attire is so tricky that I took their word for it and now I'm going to have to have major alterations done. Oh well. Anything for you, my Kristen!

I will be out of commission for the next few days due to lots and lots of painkillers, but will be back in no time!

And now....back to work!
posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->