about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
7.11.2005,7/11/2005 07:06:00 PM
Be careful what you wish for...
Today at about 4:15 I had the rug pulled out from under me.

Yep, I have fallen victim to the plague that seems to be running rampant among technology professionals everywhere.

My position was outsourced. But I wasn't fired, as they were all so quick to point out to me. It's business, nothing personal, blah blah blah....

Without warning, I was called into the VP of Finance's office (the VP of Marketing, my overseeing supervisor, or whatever you call him, was conveniently out of town at a conference) and told that my job can basically be done for free by a firm who desperately wants more of the company's business that I was ousted from today. Trouble is, I don't think they knew exactly how much I did besides supervise the content on the website.

So, writing this, I am going through a myriad of emotions. Anger, sadness, nausea, fear, and relief.

You see, dear readers, I have been extremely unhappy in my job for at least 6 months now. Every morning I would wake up thinking of the hour drive I had ahead of me to a thankless job, that, while the pay was quite good, I was told I was expected to work overtime (I was salaried, btw), our department was severely understaffed, and everyone was stressed and frazzled all the time. When things were really bad I would pray for a car accident so I wouldn't have to go into work. Thank goodness that never happened, though.

I know I was unhappy, I just wish they'd given me a bit more notice than 45 minutes before 5:00 today. They claimed that "they only found out today that the deal was going forward," or something like that. Total crap. If I had only had a little time to find another job then I could have left on my own terms, with my head held high, without feeling like some schmoe lugging a box with her things in it out the door today.

I'm trying to be rational about this. I just try to keep thinking, "When one door closes, another one opens." I just hope another door opens soon.
posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->