about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
10.05.2005,10/05/2005 11:45:00 AM
Bowled Over...
I got an e-mail this morning from a good friend/former co-worker and she told me that her husband left her last weekend. I'm completely floored right now.

I never got the chance to meet her husband, but I used to talk to him on the phone a lot, and he seemed like a nice guy. My friend also has a 14-year-old daughter from a previous marriage who is affected by this as well. I haven't gotten many details, because my friend doesn't have many details to give. Apparently he just left. She is one of the nicest people I know, and it just breaks my heart to think of her and her daughter (who is also a really cool chick)having to go through this.

It just makes me wonder how one gets through divorce, especially if you're the person who is blindsided by the news that the person you promised to love forever decides they don't want to be with you anymore. I, honestly, don't know what I would do if DH decided he didn't want to be with me. I'd probably lose it. I know that I would eventually be able to pick myself up and move on, but.....okay, I don't want to think about that. No need getting worked up over something that most likely, hopefully, will never happen.

I get kind of mad thinking about it. To me, it seems that people rush to marry, then decide they're bored with their spouse or don't want to make an effort anymore and decide to get divorced. I don't get that. Yes, there are difficult times, yes, that "spark" fades, but when you face problems together and overcome them as a team, that's what makes you stronger and your bond that much more unbreakable. I think that a lot of people have this fairy-tale ideal of what marriage is supposed to be and when it doesn't turn out that way, they decide to divorce. These people are horribly disillusioned. Marriage is work, people. It's not all candelight dinners and long-stemmed roses and foot massages. (ha!) You can't just throw in the towel the minute things get tough or the "magic" fades.

I'm just sounding off....and if you're in an abusive relationship, either physical or mental, then all bets are off. Get the hell out of there as quickly as you can. But for those who are just bored, then get a hobby!
posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->