about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
1.11.2006,1/11/2006 03:36:00 PM
This is What My Tax Dollars are Paying For?
Late this morning I went back to the dentist because I discovered another lump on my other cheek (turns out I am having an allergic reaction to the anesthetic, nothing major, just annoying) and while I was driving there had it on NPR, listening to the Judge Alito hearings. I'm not really a political person, but I thought, "What the hell? I need to keep up with some current events besides the fact that Angelina Jolie is pregnant."

Ted Kennedy was questioning Alito about an extremist conservative group Alito had joined while in college (or was it after? I can't remember), and he wanted to immediately call the committee into closed session to vote on whether or not they would subpoena membership documents from this group. Committee Chairman Arlen Specter said he would take the subpoena request into consideration, since this was the first time he'd heard of it. Kennedy then said, "Well, I sent you a letter about it back in December," and Specter said, "I never received it," and Ted Kennedy got all up on Specter about what he percieved was a denial of his request, and insisting that Specter HAD received his letter.

What followed was at least 5 minutes of these two going back and forth, arguing like two little boys over who crossed the finish line first in a race. I don't think Alito responded to one more question before they broke for lunch.

I was just sitting there in my car, appalled, at this childish display I was hearing. Good God, people, you aren't there to talk about petty shit between you, you pompous airbags, you are there to QUESTION THE NOMINEE ABOUT HIS VIEWS! From what I heard before the immature shouting match, it seems like they're trying to goad Alito into saying something that can be taken the least bit out of context and throw it back at him.

Is this what my tax dollars are paying for? For a bunch of long-winded, arrogant old men to sit there and basically do nothing but talk talk talk about everything but the issue at hand? They just like to hear the sound of their voices. And then they probably went to lunch for 2 hours, had some drinks (we all know that Kennedy did), parked illegally while at lunch, and then came back and bickered some more.

The thing is, the Democrats don't like Alito, but the Republicans do. If the shoe was on the other foot, and there was a Democratic President in office nominating a Supreme Court Justice candidate, the same thing would be happening--the Republicans wouldn't like him or her, and the Democrats would.

GRR!
posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->