about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
2.03.2006,2/03/2006 03:22:00 PM
How I Met My (Biological) Mother, Conclusion
Since I have your attention, I think I'll finish the story.

So I was waiting for Charli (short for Charlotte) to call me back, hoping that she hadn't gone up to Dallas like she had talked about, and finally, after DH and I had gotten to Mrs. Wallington's house and had several beers, Charli called.

I asked, "What are you doing tomorrow?"

She said, "Oh just finishing up my packing."

I asked, "Well, I was wondering if you'd like to meet tomorrow?"

She said, "I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO CALL AND ASK ME THAT!"

We set a meeting time for 2 pm on Sunday afternoon down in San Marcos, which was about the halfway point from Austin and San Antonio.

Of course, Saturday night was the meeting of the Blogger minds, and it was a great time indeed. But you're not reading this to read about that..... :)

Sunday was the big day. I made myself look all pretty, and DH and I said goodbye and thanks for the wonderful hospitality to my good friend Mrs. Wallington, and set off to drive to San Marcos.

We'd arranged to meet on the square--if any of you are familiar with San Marcos, in the middle of town is the square, where the courthouse is, yada yada yada, and it is lined with shops and restaurants on the outside (Paper Bear Represent!) I drove down toward the square and passed a woman with red hair sitting on one of the benches.

To DH I exclaimed, "THERE SHE IS!!" To which he immediately reached into my purse, pulled out my packet of tissues, pulled out two, and kept them at the ready.

We parked a little way away, and walked around the corner to meet Charli. When she saw us she got up and walked toward me, and we hugged.

And kept hugging.

And you know, I was okay. I was a little teary, but nothing I couldn't handle (this is the woman that doesn't cry, after all.) Then, as she pulled away from me, she looked at me and said, "Are you okay?"

And THAT'S when the floodgates opened. Dammit, I KNEW I shouldn't have gone off the Pill and my anti-depressants at the same time! :) And, according to Charli, you never cry alone with her around...

At that moment, we both looked at DH, who whipped out his stash of tissues, like the man who saved the day.

From there, we decided that, since it was way too beautiful a day to sit inside a restaurant (80 degrees in January, go Texas,) we ended up at River Pub, which is a restaurant by the San Marcos River. We got a table out on the deck, overlooking the river, and ordered drinks and a late lunch. And then talked and talked and talked. Every once in a while she would just LOOK at me, as if I were a figment of her imagination and would disappear at any moment.

Those four hours were the quickest four hours ever. It was as if we'd just sat down and then POOF! 6 pm! Since DH and I had a four hour drive ahead of us, we decided it was time to say goodbye. But, we got some pictures, one of which I'd like to share. DH was saying something funny, which is why we're both laughing. It's my favorite out of the five or six we took.



So, what now? We're taking it day by day, getting to know one another, and I'm so happy that I wrote that letter. I have absolutely no regrets.

I felt like I needed to tell this story, hoping that another adopted child out there who is struggling with the decision to contact his or her birth parents will find what I've written here, and say to themselves, "so it's not always an unhappy ending."

I think I can safely say that this is a happy beginning instead of an ending, though.....
posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->