about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
2.02.2006,2/02/2006 08:15:00 AM
My "Secret" Wedding...
I've been married twice.

Yes, dear bloggers. I have two weddings under my belt. The first one took place two years ago today, at 9 am in the JP's office at the Harris County Courthouse on Cypresswood Drive.

The bride wore a black tank with a white button-down over it, jeans, and pearls. I can't remember what the groom wore, but I think it was jeans as well. For those of you who were married in a religious ceremony, this is what a JP ceremony consisted of:

JP: All right. Do you take him to be your husband?

Bride: I do.

JP: Do you take her to be your wife?

Groom: I do.

JP: All right, then. You're married--give her a kiss.


The wedding breakfast was held at Victor's Delicatessen on 1960 and Stuebner Airline, and I think the bride had pancakes. Then the bride and groom drove off to Dallas to look for a place to live, since the groom had gotten a new job there and had to report in two weeks.

Yes. I have been married twice. To the same man.

February 2, 2004, is the legal anniversary. We got married for insurance purposes, as by the time we were in the process of moving I still didn't have a job and was paying exorbitant COBRA premiums. For some reason, DH didn't think his parents would mind having our marriage certificate sent to his parents' house. He was sure they wouldn't open the envelope, and, if they did, well, they'd understand why we did it.

Boy, were we ever wrong.

Flash forward to March--I'd gone down to Houston for my bridal shower, and DH calls me.

DH: My mom got the marriage certificate in the mail.

Me: Uh oh.

DH: SHE IS PISSED.

Me: Holy shit!


In the end, everything worked out okay, and we still had the wedding in New Orleans April 10. It was a wonderful time, and we loved being there with all our family.

But, you know, if I had to go back and do it all over again, I would still marry DH in my jeans and pearls on that cool February morning.

Happy "Secret" Anniversary, honey. Marrying you was the smartest thing I've ever done.
posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->