about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
4.26.2006,4/26/2006 09:09:00 PM
A Very Special Episode...
Back in the mid to late 1970's, Iranian fighter pilots were being trained by the U.S. Air Force. This was back before Iran became an Islamic Republic and they were under rule of the Shah.

Charli was in the same squadron as one of these pilots. She was a pretty shy person, and there was this one pilot who kept wanting to date her, but she kept him at arm's length. One day, her squadron leader came up and said, "You know, this guy really likes you," and kind of brought the two together.

And so they started dating.

They traveled to California and met Charli's parents, and went all sorts of places in Texas. But, eventually, he had to go back to Iran. He didn't want to leave, but his family worked in the government, and if he'd stayed, there might have been retaliation against his family.

Right before he left, Charli told him she might be pregnant. They thought it might be a fluke, though, but it soon became apparent that she indeed was pregnant. So, she called him in Iran and told him the news.

In the background, someone was speaking to him in Farsi. He told Charli, "This cannot be my child because I can't have children." Much later, Charli learned that if it had been discovered that he'd fathered a child while he was in the U.S., there could have been dire consequences.

At the time though, she was utterly devastated. Hiding her pregnancy from everyone, the stress made her go into premature labor, and on January 30, 1977, at 11:20 am, a little girl was born, two months early.

Yep, that was me. She never heard from my father again, and when the Shah fell, there is no telling what happened to him and his family.

I know what you're thinking. Yeah, Bdogg. Blonde hair, green eyes, fair skin. But, I've seen photos of Persians, and not all of them have dark complexions. In fact, my biological father's mother and sisters both had green eyes. Plus, you have to remember that the other half of my genetic makeup is from a woman with blonde hair and green eyes. :)

I remember talking to my geography professor about this while I was still in college, about the fact that it could have been possible that I was half Persian. She had lived in the Middle East with her husband for many years. My professor told me, "There are people in Iran who look just like you."

And that's it. Charli was pretty scared to tell me about it, considering the political climate right now. But, those of you who know me know that I'm not like that, and you know what? I'm proud of my heritage, and admire her for being brave enough to tell me.
posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->