about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
4.24.2006,4/24/2006 04:27:00 PM
The Weekend, Pt. I
Hello, everyone!

DH and I took the day off today. It was really nice, you know, to relax after the weekend. And what a weekend it was! Let me preface it, though, by telling you about Thursday and the Oracle Server that Would Not Behave....

I was at work Thursday, and about 9 am DH calls me, telling me that they don't have power in their building and he's been given the day off. You could hear him dancing jubilantly while I huffed and sulked in my cube. But, later on, at about 2 pm, he calls again, saying that when the power came back on, the databases wouldn't come back up and he had to go back into work.

"Are you going to be very late, honey?" I ask him.
"I hope not, but I will call you and keep you updated," he replied.

I came home after work and messed around, and at about 10 pm DH calls, telling me that the progress has been VERY slow, and that he was going to be later than he expected.

I fell asleep around 11:30, and at 5:30 am I woke up with a start.

DH still wasn't home, and it was raining buckets.

I called him on both his work phone and cell phone, and got voicemail, so, drama queen I am (I swear I get it from DH,) I kept thinking, over and over, "He's dead. He was nodding off, the slick pavement caused him to lose control of his car, and he's on the roadside, dead. What am I going to do? I can't do this without him--I'm going to have to move back to Houston and live with my parents, but I want to die, because he's dead....."

And then the phone rang.

It was DH, calling to say that he's STILL at work, and that he'd call me when he was on his way home. Let me remind you all, that we're supposed to be leaving around 2 pm to go up to Burnet, and it was almost 6 am and he hadn't slept a wink all night.

He ended up getting home about 8 am. I got home around 1 after the recording session, and we ended up leaving town about 4 pm.

After a rather uneventful drive, we roll into Burnet about 8 pm, and met Charli at the hotel. Hugs went around, and she says, "Everyone is waiting at my parents' house--we're all going to dinner."

What???? I kind of freaked out inwardly when I heard this, because I thought that I was going to have the evening to settle in with Charli and then go over to her parents' house on Saturday.

So, we went over to Charli's parents' house, and the first thing I see when I drive up is this little woman walking across the lawn as we get out of the car, saying, "I just want to warn you to enter at your own risk!"

"Oh, holy hell," I thought. "I am so going to throw up right here."

It was my Granny, coming to greet us. After one of the biggest hugs I think I've ever gotten in my life, I went into the backyard and met my Granddad and most of the family.

We all piled into cars and went to dinner, and it was weird--it was like I'd always been around. I felt really at ease with everyone, and it ended up being a nice evening.

After dinner, we hung around the house for a bit, and poor DH, who'd only had about 4 hours of sleep, looked like he was going to die. So, we and Charli went back to the hotel where we discovered that her brother and his family was in the room that was right next to ours! We all said goodnight, and DH went into our room. It was about 10:30 or 11 at this time.

Charli and I were saying goodnight and she asked me if I wanted to come in and talk for a bit. It was then I asked her if she would tell me the story of her and my biological father. I still hadn't heard it yet, because I wanted her to tell me when she was ready.

"Come into my room," she said. "I have something to show you."

And so I went into her room and heard the story about my biological father. You guys are going to have to wait a little while more, though, because this is getting to be another long post.

Yes, I'm evil.
posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->