about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
5.10.2006,5/10/2006 10:49:00 AM
Needing to Vent....and a Public Service Announcement (sort of)
Does anyone else sometimes forget what day it is? Wonder why that happens??? I usually forget what day it is if I don't go to work one day out of the week, and, since I was out sick on Monday, I guess that's why I'm being rather forgetful.

About three years ago, I had surgery for endometriosis. Around my time of the month, I would get these sharp pains in my lower right abdomen, and after two months of emergency room visits and the loss of dignity (I am so not going into what I had to go through during one emergency room visit,) my doctor thought it could be endometriosis, so I had laparascopic surgery. In addition, I also had all estrogen production shut down in my body for 6 months, which, I tell you, was VERY interesting. Imagine going through menopause at 27...

For a while, everything was okay, until a year later, when it came back. Worse this time. A trip to the emergency room again revealed nothing except I like to pass out when I get my IV, and morphine is really really good. I went back to work the next day, and the following week couldn't walk, so to my doctor I went (a different one, since I live in Big D now,) shuffling like an old person and in terrible pain.

And you know what? She found out what was wrong with me. I had Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, or PID. A bacterial infection that went misdiagnosed for several years was having its way with me, and she gave me super doses of antibiotics and strict orders to stay in bed for the rest of the week. My boss (of the shitty job I had before this one) was not happy about that. They were such bastards.....but I digress....

So this weekend began--ahem--my time of the month, and on Monday I had the worst cramps I've ever had in my life. I've never had back pain associated with my period before, but this time I did, and wow! I pretty much camped out on the couch the whole day with my heating pad, except when I had to go to jury duty at 6 pm (another post.....) And, the sharp pain in my lower right abdomen has come back. I made an appointment and went to see my doctor yesterday afternoon and described my symptoms to her. She said it could be several things:

Ovarian cysts that had burst.
Scar tissue being pulled by uterine contractions. (ouch!)
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).
Or, it could have been a bad period.

There's really nothing I can do except watch and wait. How frustrating not to be able to fix what's wrong with you! It's especially frustrating that DH and I are trying to have a baby and all this crap is happening. And all because of a damn bacterial infection that was misdiagnosed!

Part of me blames my previous gynecologist--I had gone in about 5 years ago complaining of pelvic pain and they did an exam and basically brushed me off, saying that there wasn't anything wrong. Looking back, I should have gone for a second opinion, but I was young and, at that time, thought that "Doctor knew best." I wasn't worried about infertility or difficulty getting pregnant, because at the time I didn't want kids and, wrongly, thought I never would. Now I'm kicking myself because my stupidity could very well cost me the ability to get pregnant.

I guess the point of this post is to tell all the lovely ladies to get checked out by your gyno or general practitioner every year. Not only does it ensure that all your parts are working correctly, if something is going on "down there," it can be treated in a timely manner. And even if you're absolutely sure you don't want kids, you just MIGHT change your mind somewhere down the road (it is our prerogative!)

I just don't want any of you to feel the uncertainty I'm feeling right now. You know, it could all be nothing, and maybe even next month I'll get knocked up. But in the back of my mind, all I can think is, "I messed up."

Don't let this happen to you, kids! Now you know! And knowing is half the battle!
posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->