about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
5.03.2006,5/03/2006 04:34:00 PM
Sometimes I Wonder About My Intelligence...
About three years ago, I injured my shoulder. Didn't really think much of it until about 6 months after I injured it, I couldn't move my neck. This has gone on intermittently ever since. I thought that I was tough enough to power through the pain and not do anything about it (WRONG).

Thus began my odyssey. After realizing that muscle relaxers, painkillers, and anti-inflammatories were NOT helping, I decided to give physical therapy a try.

Yesterday was my first session. It wasn't really strenuous or anything, mainly just having the therapist massage my neck and shoulders, trying to find where the trouble spots were, and testing my strength and range of motion. It is being theorized that I have an impingement in my neck that is causing the pain to manifest in the shoulder.

After all of this, I was a bit sore, and to try to get me to feeling better, the therapist suggested I lie down for about 15 minutes with some heat packs and electrodes attached to me. I thought, "Okay, I'll try anything once," and sat there while she attached four sticky little pads to my neck and shoulder area. She told me, "Here's the controller for the electrodes, and when the time runs out, let me know and we'll get you out of here."

Simple, right?

Lying on the table with a heat pack on my back and around my neck, and a support under my knees (ahhhh,) I turned the electrode thingy on and WOW. Tingly! I played around with it by turning up the intensity and seeing how much I can stand (As an Alias fan, I wanted to see if I have a Sydney Bristow-like pain tolerance.) I didn't get past 8 (and I don't know how high the thing goes). While the tingling was rather pleasant in the neck and down the shoulder blade, the electrode that was placed on my arm around the shoulder area started to feel a little uncomfortable. Actually, it started to hurt. I turned the setting down to 4, then 3, then 2, and it was still hurting.

So I thought, "Well, I like the tingling in the shoulder blade and neck area, so I will just take off the pad on my shoulder and it will be cool."

Did I not mention that I STILL HAD THE ELECTRODE CONTROLLER ON when I decided to do this?

I reached over, pulled the sticky pad off my shoulder with my other hand and shocked the crap out of my thumb. And you know what? Even if the voltage is still rather low, being shocked freakin' HURTS. I can still remember how it felt, almost 24 hours later, and I didn't like it. Apparently you're not supposed to do that.

After that, I decided to cut my losses and turned the damn thing off. I'm not sure how much longer passed, but I finally called out to my therapist that I think I'd had enough of the heat packs. She pulled back the curtain and asked, "Did the timer on the electrode controller go off?" and I said, "Funny story, actually..."

She was actually very concerned about me, hoping I was okay, and was all, "Why didn't you tell me it was hurting and I could have come and adjusted it?" But, dear bloggers, I am one who does not like to ask for help if there is the ever-remote possiblilty that I can do it myself. You see how well that turned out.

Next time, I'll let the professionals take care of it!
posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->