about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
7.12.2006,7/12/2006 11:48:00 AM
A Revelation...
I was originally going to leave this as a comment on Liz's blog, in reference to this post, but you know, I think I need to address it here.

I am officially old.

Now, I know what you're going to say. "You're not old, Bdogg!"

But I am. The things that were trendy when I was a pre-teen/teenager have come back in style.
Case in point:

I had a pair exactly like this when I was about 16. Then, I loved them. Now, I don't think they're particularly attractive, seeing as they look like you're wearing a couple of bricks on your feet. They're just so, chunky.....and now, there's enough on my body that's chunky--I don't need the shoes to match.

And the leggings featured on Liz's blog! I had several pair of those as well.

I know fashion is a cyclical thing, but I never thought it would actually happen to me, or, if it did, that it would be several more years before I started seeing things I misguidedly wore as a youngin on the shiftless teens of today.

See, there I go again with my old-ness! That's another thing.

Teenagers tend to really piss me off. When DH and I were in H-town a few months ago we woke up to find egg yolk on DH's Mazda RX-8, most likely thrown by bored teenage boys. Took the paint off his door panel in spots. Why did they do this? I simply don't understand! Then again, I didn't understand this when I was a teenager, so I think it's a guy thing.

And the way they drive! Oh, man. I got cut off by a teenager a while back, who decided that she desperately wanted to get in the left turn lane I was in even though there was a perfectly good left turn lane right next to me that was going to the same place as my turn lane. Since she nearly hit me, I honked my horn at her, to which her boyfriend took great offense and began doing all these little hand motions at me and being all dramatic by looking in the rear-view and side mirrors. I wanted to scream, "It's not my fault your girlfriend drives like shit!" But I took the high road and sat there, stony-faced, while Little Boyfriend defended the Shit Driver Girlfriend's honor. Whatever.

Another thing: My co-worker, who is cool as all get-out, has a 15-year-old daughter. I had given my co-worker some of those little "bling" jewels to put on her cell phone, and the daughter was aghast. She told her mom, "Those are just for kids, Mom! Old people shouldn't have that on their phones!" The daughter also couldn't believe that I had a MySpace profile, because that, again, is "just for kids." Sigh......

It makes me wonder, though. Were we all "stupid teenagers?" Did people ten (or more) years ago look at us and curse our general self-centeredness and stupid and destructive behavior? (I think so) Makes me cringe to think of it!

At least there is some justice to this. In ten years the teenagers of today will be my age at this moment, and will probably be experiencing all of the same stuff I am now.

It's a small comfort, though, especially when you're trying not to get in a fender-bender because you really want to sell your zippy little sports car in order to get a 4-door car that is "family-friendly."

Dammit. There I go again. You know what? I'm just going to shut up now, before I find myself using a walker to get around and eating dinner at 4:30 pm.

posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->