about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
11.17.2006,11/17/2006 02:34:00 PM
Well, Whaddaya Know???
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who sent in their well wishes the other day. All of your support really means a lot to me. :)

I took the day off from work yesterday--it was sorely needed. Part of the reason I did was because I took Javajabber's advice and made an appointment with my gyno yesterday afternoon. I went into the office, armed with my requisite piece of paper with my cycle length and symptoms on it, and when the doctor came in, she was very impressed at the fact that I came to the appointment with my symptom sheet.

You know, I used to trust doctors blindly. Whatever diagnosis they gave me, I accepted it, because they were the doctor, so they should know everything, right?

But, when I had surgery for endometriosis back in 2003, and they told me that they didn't find hardly anything, leading to a year of having my hormones shut down with no lessening of the pain I was having, I started getting pissed off. My anger was only incensed further when I was diagnosed with PID, or Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, all from a bacterial infection that was never properly diagnosed in the first place, raging on in my insides for nearly three years. Turns out, I didn't have endometriosis, but what was causing the pain was the PID, and once I was put on a heavy course of antibiotics, the pain went away. That was a mistake that cost me, out-of-pocket, more than $2,000, with the surgery and everything (thank god for insurance!) But it taught me a valuable lesson: never blindly trust what your doctor tells you--always ask questions.

Anyhow, I sat down with my gyno, and talked with her about what I was experiencing, and she said to me, "Well, from what you've told me, and the symptoms and test results you've given me, it sounds like you have PCOS." I went this morning for a fasting blood test to check my insulin levels, and I have to go for a sonogram to check my ovaries out, but I'm going to start medication in the next couple of weeks, and hopefully it will help with my weight gain, and my acne, and the high blood pressure.

Yeah, it sucks that I have this, and it sucks that I'm going to have more difficulty than most in getting pregnant, but just having a medical professional look at me and validate my feelings was the best thing ever. I was really beginning to doubt my sanity there for a second!

As I type this, DH is out with our realtor looking at some of the houses we'd picked out. I hope that he has some good pictures for me when I get home!

Have a good weekend, everyone!
posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->