about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
12.18.2006,12/18/2006 10:46:00 AM
Times, they are A-Changin'
Thanks so much, everyone, for all of the warm comments about the new casa! DH and I are very excited about it, and can't wait for January 26! Some of you asked about the particulars of the house, and here they are:

1933 sq. ft.
3 bedrooms
2 baths

Separate shower/tub in the master, split plan (meaning that the secondary bedrooms are on the other side of the house from the master,) nice-sized back yard, two living areas, kitchen open to family room, and breakfast nook.

The inspection went well, aside from a few minor issues, and our realtor has gone back to the seller with the things that need to be fixed and ask that he repairs them before we move in. We'll see what he comes back with.

But, you know, it seems that when things in my life change, boy, do they change! Why, you ask? Well, as of December 29 I will no longer be employed with my current company. I accepted a position with an application service provider as an Account Executive and gave my two-week notice on Friday. What is an application service provider? Well, basically this company creates software applications for businesses, such as database systems, etc. and hosts them, too.

Here's how it happened: About a month ago, I got a call from said company (I worked with them at my previous job--the one where they booted me,) saying that they had an opportunity I might be interested in. The division I would be working for had grown exponentially after I left my previous job and had become the company's #1 selling division, and they were needing people to manage these clients and basically be the liason between them and my possible new employers. Seeing that I already had experience with the software they provide, they came to me to see if I was interested.

I told them no.

Twice.

You see, I was (still am) very happy in my current position, and I wasn't sure if I wanted the added responsibility this new job would provide, with us planning to start a family and all that jazz. Plus, I'd essentially be managing the same people who gave me the boot a year and a half earlier, and I didn't know if I wanted to work with them again. So, after saying no the second time, the VP of the division called me, and said, "What will it take to get you to come work for us?"

This got me thinking. Yes, I love my current job. The people are great, it's not too stressful, and the commute is relatively easy. BUT, it's not always the most challenging job, and I really have nowhere to go, since it's a small company--I'm pretty much stuck where I am. The new position would be quite a bit more money (25% pay increase + commission,) the work is mentally challenging, and I have the opportunity to grow within the organization as well as telecommute 3 days a week. So, I gave it another chance, and met with the VP.

I said, "This is what I'd be willing to leave my job for." They said, "Okay" (this is very abbreviated) and I accepted. I start the new job January 4, and will be working at the office for the first couple months or so, getting retrained on all the software, getting to know the clients (I don't believe I'll have to work with the company that booted me, although a former co-worker thinks it would be very funny) and learning the way the organization works. After that, I will start working from home! How crazy is that??

Then again, it's not going to be easy leaving my current job. I have been so happy here, but, as my current boss said, you just don't pass up this kind of opportunity.

We'll see how it goes!!

Labels: ,

posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->