about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
1.24.2007,1/24/2007 08:28:00 AM
Ridin' the Rails
You know what I love about the train? Well, aside from the fact that for about 30 minutes each morning and evening I can bliss out and not have to worry about navigating the freeway? I love the fact that it is a true melting pot of people. You really get all types--professionals resplendent in business suits, urban kids with their puffy parkas (yes, laugh, Northerners, but here in Texas if it drops down below 50 degrees we bundle up like we're in the Arctic because we're used to 110 degrees 9 months out of the year,) hipsters in their hoodies and these-look-old-but-they're-really-brand-new-and-$150 jeans.

Most of the time, when I am able to catch a train that is relatively light and get a seat, I spend that time reading a book--again, another reason to love the train, but that's not the point of this post--but sometimes, when I have to stand, I like to watch people. I always wonder what their lives are like outside the steel and glass cars with the hard plastic seats covered in durable fabric.

And the train operators are just as interesting--some days you get the sullen ones who barely mumble the stops, or you get an operator who doesn't announce anything--just goes about his or her business. Today, however, was a special treat. The operator this morning had a voice like Barry White, but a bit more gravelly, and he announced every station with aplomb in a velvety smooth voice:

"Ladies & Gentlemen, Main Street Station, please exit to your left. Next stop Church Street Station. Doors closing. You are on the.....Southbound Red Line to Union Station."

I half expected him to come out with champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries. So intrigued was I with his announcing skills that I actually stopped reading my book just so I could listen to him announce each stop.

Sometimes the smallest things make my day. That was one of them.
posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->