about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
9.05.2007,9/05/2007 08:26:00 PM
Seems he IS good for something...
This past weekend, DH and I flew to Lubbock to visit my dad and stepmom. It was a lovely visit, naturally, but the adventure began way before we got there.

You see, my rear driver's side tire has had a slow leak in it for some time now. (You see where this is going, don't you?) I think I got a nail or a screw in it courtesy of the HVAC company that is located next door to my office, and I've been putting air in the tire in the hopes that I could stretch out the time before I needed to replace the tire, because when I did, I was going to replace all four.

Saturday morning, around 6:45 am, as we were driving to the airport, I felt the car start to wobble. I said to DH, "Hon, do you think it's my tire?" to which he replied, "Naah. It's the road."

About 100 feet later, I said to him, "No, that's definitely my tire!" Sure enough, we pulled over onto the shoulder, and my tire was shredded. The odor of burned rubber was extremely prevalent in the air. DH gets down to change the tire, and I watch in shock as people stay in the right lane and speed past us going at least 70 MPH. Good thing it was on a Saturday morning, or else we probably would have been on the morning news traffic report. But still, it kinda pissed me off that people would do that, so I stayed as close to DH as I could and watched the traffic, determined that if some jackass was going to take us out, DH and I were going together.

We made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare, thank goodness, boarded the plane around 8:20 am, and proceeded to sit on the plane for an hour. Apparently something with the computer was malfunctioning, and the techs were attempting to repair it. No such luck, though, and we had to deplane and wait around for another plane. DH and I ended up getting into Lubbock about an hour later than expected, but all ended well, and it was really nice to spend some time with my dad and stepmom.

Today was my weekly WW meeting, and I somehow managed to lose 2.6 lbs this week despite my Tex-Mex binge on Saturday night. This puts my total poundage lost to 18 lbs! Yee haw!

I've been craving chicken pot pie lately, so I hunted on the WW website for a Points-friendly recipe, and found one that turned out wonderfully. It is made with phyllo dough instead of the traditional pie crust as well as evaporated milk to evoke that creamy mouth-feel.

Here's the recipe. Of course, I modified it the way I always do, using rotisserie chicken, but it still turned out well.



Chicken Pot Pie
Points: 5
Serves: 6

1 pound rotisserie chicken, shredded
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 cup frozen green peas
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
5 oz fat-free evaporated milk
1 cup chicken broth
15 1/4 oz can of corn, drained and rinsed
6 sheets phyllo dough


Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and spray a deep pie plate with cooking spray. Microwave the peas and carrots for 2 minutes, drain and set aside. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-ish heat, add the onions, and cook until soft. Stir in the flour and cook over low heat for 2 minutes.

Remove pan from heat, stir in milk and chicken broth, return to stove, crank up to medium heat, and cook until mixture boils. Add carrot/pea mixture, corn, and chicken, and pour into the pie pan.

Top the pie pan with phyllo, trim off excess and lightly spray with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, lower the heat to 350 degrees, and cook an additional 20 minutes.

Bon appetit!
posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->