about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
4.01.2008,4/01/2008 08:17:00 PM
Lost in Austen
Since January, I've been hooked. PBS is playing The Complete Jane Austen, which ends, unfortunately, this Sunday with the conclusion of Sense & Sensibility.

I came rather late to the Jane Austen fan club. I don't know why, but I never picked up any of her books in my childhood (guess I was too busy with Laura Ingalls Wilder and those trashy V.C. Andrews books,) but I was introduced to Pride & Prejudice in college for an English class I was taking. And that, coupled with the 1995 BBC miniseries, was all it took.

Lately, I've been on kind of a P&P kick, especially with the sequel novels. I adore Elizabeth Aston's novels, and always read them too quickly for my own good, because as soon as I finish them I realize that I have to wait an entire year for the next one to come out. I've read P&P variations, mysteries, and rather racy sequels, but nothing is as good as the original. In fact, at Barnes & Noble a couple of weeks ago I picked up a hardbound copy of the novel, and have decided to re-read it again, and I wonder why it always seems that books are better when you read them because you want to, not because it's required for a class?

To crown my Jane Austen nerdiness, last week I received my membership papers to the Jane Austen Society of North America. Ah, bliss!
posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->