about
Name: bdogg_mcgee

From: Big D, Texas, United States

About me: The observations and musings of a transplanted Houstonian, married to the love of my life and living on the plains of North Texas.

More..
These Are the Days of Our Lives
The Blogroll

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Shout Out
100 Things!
See More of Me
I Like Presents
Goings On
Nothing's going on. My life is BORING!
Old Stuff, Boring Really
Credits
Layout design by: Pannasmontata
5.20.2008,5/20/2008 06:12:00 PM
Plane Rides, Sinus Infections, and 25 Big Hershey Kisses
Hi Everyone!

Last week I was in the land of milk chocolate (Hershey, PA) for a tradeshow. I left Friday before last and flew straight to Harrisburg in one of those regional jets that hopped up and down on the wind currents and scared the ever-living crap out of me (oh, Xanax, where are you when I need you?) and sat next to the most inconsiderate asshole on the planet who brought a stinky hot sandwich on the plane with him and proceeded to linger over it for a good 20-30 minutes, in between sips of a nasty-looking blue-ish smoothie. Oh nausea, you were my good friend that evening.

I arrived in Harrisburg around 9:45 PM and went to get my rental car, and thank goodness, they had some with GPS. However, when I typed in the address of my hotel, I chose "shortest time" instead of "use freeways" or something like that, because I wound up doing all kinds of twisty-turny crap, and let me tell you, PA is extremely DARK--there were hardly any streetlights. Thankfully I arrived at my hotel in one piece and pretty much fell into bed.

Next day, I mapped out some things to do and headed out to Hershey's Chocolate World, where I took a "tour" of how chocolate is made (complete with fake factory and all - apparently my father-in-law was really mad when he took that tour because he wanted to see a real factory) and, at the urging of a co-worker, brought back those big Hershey Kisses for everyone in the office. Well, they were in between the big ones and the regular size. I'd briefly thought about just going to Wal-Mart, picking up a couple bags of Hershey Miniatures, and saying, "I bought these in Hershey!" when I got back, but that wouldn't be nice, would it? :)

Sunday through Tuesday was the tradeshow, and it was your typical tradeshow - people going apeshit over crappy 99-cent pens and stress balls. I got sexually harassed by one winner whose wife was talking to one of our other reps not five feet away. I didn't really know how to deal with that, so I just laughed it off.

Tuesday we packed everything up and I got to the airport to find out that my 8 PM flight from Chicago to Dallas (I had a layover) was canceled, and I was put on the later, 8:45 PM flight instead. Well, due to storms in the area and delays, our 8:45 flight sat on the runway for about an hour and we didn't take off until nearly 11 PM, and by the time I got my bags and took the shuttle out to get my car, it was 1 AM, putting me home at 2 AM. I had been up nearly 24 hours by this time and was freaking exhausted! And wouldn't you know, I went to work the next day--granted, I went in at 10 and left at 4:30, but I was there all the same. Some consolation is that I got to take Friday off, though....had a two-hour massage.....it was great.

I don't know if I caught something on the plane, but Friday I started getting stopped up. By Saturday I couldn't breathe and Sunday was running fever. A trip to the doctor yesterday revealed a nice sinus infection, but at least I'm on antibiotics now and hopefully I'll get over it rather quickly.

Oh, and I got a prescription for Xanax too, so I won't be unprepared on plane rides anymore. Woo hoo!
posted by bdogg_mcgee
Permalink |
-->